The National Association of Stevedoring Companies (NASC) was established in 1978 and duly registered with the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment, Registrar of Trade Unions, National Employers Consultative Association and many other government recognized regulating bodies.
Since inception, the Association has remained the only government recognized platform for negotiations and collective bargaining on behalf of all stevedoring companies nationwide. It is also the center for conflict resolution. promotion of peace, harmony and higher productivity in the maritime sector of the Nigerian economy.
Over the years, the Federal Government has continued to recognize the importance of the National Association of Stevedoring Companies (NASC) as the critical stake holder in cargo handling and effective Dockworkers Management.
Due to the essential roles played by the Association in the Maritime Industry in the past, the Federal Government have at different occasion appointed the Association to serve in different bodies in Government’s recognition of the Association’s potential to move the Maritime Industry forward. Such bodies include:
- Member of the defunct National Dock Labour Board
- Board Member of the Joint Dock Labour Industrial Council (JOMALIC) before the merger with Nigerian Maritime Authority to form the present day Nigeria Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA)
- Member of the Presidential Implementation Committee on Maritime Safety and Security (PICOMSS)
- Member of the Transparency Monitoring Unit of the Federal Ministry of Transport on Ports, Jetties, and Onshore/Offshore
- Member of the committee on Stevedoring Guidelines
- Member of the Nigerian Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA)
- Member of the Ports Consultative Council (PCC)
- Member of National Joint Industrial Council (NJIC), etc.